Garmin Nuvi 350 - additional maps
jmc
2006-05-13 15:44:16 UTC
As I stated in another post, I'm looking for my first GPS. I'm still
pretty ignorant, but learning...

Been looking at the Nuvi 350, so far like what I see. What I can't find
in the reviews and specs (Maybe I don't know where to look?) is whether
or not I can load additional maps from different countries. I see that
it comes with North American maps and that maps of Europe are available,
but I specifically am looking for maps of Australia.

Also, anybody have the Nuvi and can comment on how much they like
it/don't like it? Pros, cons? Especially from a new user perspective?

jmc
Dave M
jmc
kevin weaver
2006-05-13 18:16:36 UTC
I love mine. Small in size was the selling factor for me. I had the 2610 and
sold it to upgrade to the nuvi.
Have not looked back. If you want bluetooth wait for the new nuvi 360 It's
going to be built in. Price will be more of course.
jmc
JD
2006-05-13 21:42:56 UTC
I have had one for about 30 days now and am very happy with it. It is also
my first GPS. I just went on a business trip and took it along. It was
easy to take along and easily got me to my hotel, a two hour drive from the
airport. It also found some locations way out in the country.

I am having a bit of problem learning how to update the software, but I hope
someone on in the newsgroup can help me. I'll call customer service on
Monday.
I would like to be able to put in a trip with waypoints, but I just go from
point to point using favorites.
The size is great and I don't have any regrets about paying the $800 for the
unit.
JD
jmc
z.entropic
2006-05-14 00:31:15 UTC
JD says "I am having a bit of problem learning how to update the
software, but I hope someone on in the newsgroup can help me."

It's easy: register your unit on the Garmin site, go to the page
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1169 and dwonload
the EXE file to your desktop, connect the nuvi via a USB cable, confirm
that your PC sees the nuvi as another disk(s), make sure the connection
or power will not be interrupted during the update process, then click
on the EXE file, install it and when all is done, disconnect the unit
by clicking on the little "Safely Remove Hardware" button in the right
corner of the Task Bar, let the new software install on the nuvi (a
little bar is moving on the screen)--et voila!

z.entropic
Mike Henry
2006-05-14 12:23:56 UTC
Post by jmc
As I stated in another post, I'm looking for my first GPS. I'm still
pretty ignorant, but learning...
Been looking at the Nuvi 350, so far like what I see. What I can't find
in the reviews and specs (Maybe I don't know where to look?) is whether or
not I can load additional maps from different countries. I see that it
comes with North American maps and that maps of Europe are available, but
I specifically am looking for maps of Australia.
Also, anybody have the Nuvi and can comment on how much they like it/don't
like it? Pros, cons? Especially from a new user perspective?
For a new user perspective, I qualify for that. As background I'd used
Delorme Street Atlas and MS Streets before, usually with paper maps, and
both on a PDA, with Earthmate Bluetooth and Delorme Pocket Streets. Paper
maps really suck when driving alone and are only moderately better when my
wife is navigating. I could only rarely get the Earthmate GPS receiver to
work properly with the PDA and gave up on it. Getting the detail maps for a
trip from Delorme Streets to the PDA was a major time consumer due to
transfer time between the PC and PDA and one is forced to select the region
to transfer ahead of the trip. If your trip unexpectedly takes you outside
that region you are out of luck. I've traveled with a friend that uses
Delorme, Earthmate, and a laptop and that works a lot better but the laptop
takes up way too much room in most vehicles.

I've had the Nuvi 350, for about 3 months now and like it much better than
all of the above. The Nuvi is mounted on the windshield with that suction
cup thingy, which works much better than I'd thought it would. It's easy to
program in a destination on the device itself, and it will save more than
enough destinations (Garmin calls them waypoints, I think) for my needs.
The Nuvi only allows one via per trip and more would be better, especially
if one would like to customize a route. That can be worked around by
programming in two or more waypoints and using them in sequence - get to
Destination 1 and then load Destination 2 with a few screen clicks - but it
would be much better to have multiple waypoints on a trip built in.

I find it very easy to follow the route visually on the screen , though I'd
worried pre-purchase that it might be too small. There is usually enough
warning on upcoming exits to get myself in the proper lane. The voice
directions are loud enough for me to hear clearly unless the radio is turned
up pretty loud and it's easy to mute the voice when it gets too annoying.
The Nuvi starts up a little slowly but, once booted, seems to lock on to the
GPS satellites within 30-60 seconds.

The routing can sometimes be a little wierd and it's not uncommon for it to
take me a few minutes out of the way on urban trips of any length. That
doesn't bother me too much as it's more important to actually get to the
destination without meandering around as I'd often do with Delorme printed
maps. It recalculates pretty quickly when a turn is missed. It estimates
ETA really well on mostly Interstate trips but underestimates by quite a bit
on primarily secondary road trips with lots of stop lights. I haven't done
a detailed analysis, but suspect it assumes that one will travel at the
posted speed for the entire trip and does not take into account delays at
stop signs or lights.

It's pretty easy to find and select POIs, like food, hotels, attractions in
the middle of a trip, though I've found that restaurants I know about can be
hard to locate unless one searches by name instead of letting the Nuvi find
them from the list it puts on the screen. I do wish that the Nuvi had an
option to display only POIs that are *ahead* of your route. As it is, it
displays POIs in a class (restaurants say) on it's list sorted on the
distance from your present location with a little arrow to indicate which
direction on the compass you will need to detour to reach the POI. The list
seems to update as you progress along your trip, though you will have to
refresh the list to see the updates.

I don't use any of the extra features of the Nuvi, like MP3 files, so you
might want to consider a cheaper model if those are not important to you.

Mike
Bob L
2006-05-14 15:20:29 UTC
Post by jmc
As I stated in another post, I'm looking for my first GPS. I'm still
pretty ignorant, but learning...
Been looking at the Nuvi 350, so far like what I see. What I can't find
in the reviews and specs (Maybe I don't know where to look?) is whether or
not I can load additional maps from different countries. I see that it
comes with North American maps and that maps of Europe are available, but
I specifically am looking for maps of Australia.
Also, anybody have the Nuvi and can comment on how much they like it/don't
like it? Pros, cons? Especially from a new user perspective?
jmc
I'm sure you can load additional maps with Nuvi but it does not have much of
an off-road navigation capability. The Quest is a very similar pocketable
car navigator and is less than half the price. It lacks the bells and
whistles (MP3, Traffic Info, enhanced announcing, larger memory, etc) of
the Nuvi but the Quest has much better off-road functionality (lat/long,
waypoints, routes, tracklog, trackback, compass page, etc). I've made many
trips downunder and that is one place I would not want a GPS without decent
off-road capability.
jmc
2006-05-14 18:58:03 UTC
Post by Bob L
Post by jmc
[...]
Oh, so something like the Nuvi can't simply tell you, "you are here"
(and the nearest road is "here")? Or it can only do it if you're on a
road? Well, then, definitely I need off-road capability. Didn't
realize they couldn't all do that. Since most of Australia is off road,
I'll definitely need that capability. I'll take a look at the Quest.

jmc
Bob L
2006-05-15 01:08:17 UTC
Oh, so something like the Nuvi can't simply tell you, "you are here" (and
the nearest road is "here")? Or it can only do it if you're on a road?
Well, then, definitely I need off-road capability. Didn't realize they
couldn't all do that. Since most of Australia is off road, I'll
definitely need that capability. I'll take a look at the Quest.
Nuvi will probably show your location on the screen but that won't mean much
if there are no mapped roads nearby as would be the case in much of Oz. I
don't think it will display conventional coordinates like Lat-Lon or UTM so
you can't even use a paper map with it. A tracklog will automatically store
the path you've taken and display it on the screen. Trackback is a function
that will guide you back along that path. Nuvi does neither.

The compass page keep you on course between waypoints (useful in a car/boat
and open terrain in a car) and you can link a bunch of waypoints or
locations together as a route - not on Nuvi though. I don't even think
you can enter your own waypoints so geocaching is out. Nuvi has a lot of
nice features for car navigation but it's too dumbed down for my taste.
jmc
2006-05-15 01:12:56 UTC
Post by Bob L
[...]
Ok, thanks for that. Looks like the Nuvi, though nice (and something
I'd get if I was staying here inthe US), isn't something that's going to
meet my needs.

Besides the Quest (and Quest2) are there any other automotive/handheld
GPS units that would have at least some of these features?

jmc
o***@gmail.com
2006-05-19 00:01:31 UTC
one thing i still cannot address to garmin customer service just
because they're unavailable for more then 30 mins when you call to
them: what do we do to get nuvi 350 working after you crossed tunnels,
because right now i have to turn off and then turn on nuvi to get
satellites back, i believe that it is an easy firmware change. i'm
struggling with it since i live in new york city and always need to
cross this battery, lincoln, holland tunnels and on the way to DC there
is another tunnel which makes it inconvinient. When I've been rented
Hertz cars with magellan never lost system, it was even imitating your
moves in the tunnels and got signal right after i've passed tunnels
they made them better but they're not compact and portable like nuvi,
even they're not big. another feature that i've like with magellan,
that they show you on the left lower corner how many miles in total is
upto your final destination left instead of total time left on nuvi,
you don't have the whole picture when you've total time and how many
miles up to first turn, with magellan it was how many in total it is
left and on how many up to the first turn that make you able to figure
out in how many hours you'll get to your destination. It would be good
approach if garmin will change it.
Jack Erbes
2006-05-19 00:13:19 UTC
Post by o***@gmail.com
one thing i still cannot address to garmin customer service just
because they're unavailable for more then 30 mins when you call to
them: what do we do to get nuvi 350 working after you crossed tunnels,
because right now i have to turn off and then turn on nuvi to get
satellites back, i believe that it is an easy firmware change. i'm
struggling with it since i live in new york city and always need to
cross this battery, lincoln, holland tunnels and on the way to DC there
is another tunnel which makes it inconvinient.
<snip>

There has been a similar problem with the 60Cx/CSx that has been
determined to be associated with having WAAS turned on. The problem
goes away with WAAS turned off. If there is an option on the Nuvi to
disable WAAS you might try turning that off.

WAAS is contributing little or nothing to fix accuracy in the
northeaster U.S. at this time anyway so having it on is of little benefit.

Jack
--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
z.entropic
2006-05-19 03:04:20 UTC
Post by o***@gmail.com
one thing i still cannot address to garmin customer service just
because they're unavailable for more then 30 mins when you call to
them: what do we do to get nuvi 350 working after you crossed tunnels,
Reading all these complaints about a myriad of problems with nuvi 350
reported in various groups, I often wonder, what's wrong with my nuvi
that never anything goes wrong with it? <VBG>

I live in Boston which has its share of tunnels new and old (Big Dig,
under the Pru Tower and the older Callahan), and I never have a problem
in any of them with the WAAS turned on (not that I ever see any WAAS
satellites in NE...), even though some are quite long (Williams to
Logan, for example). Except for Callahan, the current-location triangle
is moving in the tunnels for more than a minute or so, and wonder if
there's something programmed in the SW for them, not just the default
30 s dead reckoning.

So, what's wrong with my nuvi? <G>

z.entropic
Phil Wheeler
2006-05-19 13:08:38 UTC
Post by z.entropic
Post by o***@gmail.com
[...]
It must be that you have not tried hard enough to make it fail. With
enough effort, anyone can find something to complain about :)

Phil
estoppel
2009-01-12 04:58:39 UTC
Post by jmc
As I stated in another post, I'm looking for my first GPS. I'm still
pretty ignorant, but learning...
Been looking at the Nuvi 350, so far like what I see. What I can'
find
in the reviews and specs (Maybe I don't know where to look?) is whethe
or not I can load additional maps from different countries. I see tha
it comes with North American maps and that maps of Europe ar
available,
but I specifically am looking for maps of Australia.
Also, anybody have the Nuvi and can comment on how much they like
it/don't like it? Pros, cons? Especially from a new use
perspective?
jmc
I own the Nuvi 760 for about a year, and I really like the naviagatio
so far. It's portable, and the mounting mechanism works really well. I'
not sure where you reside, but if you do live in California like me
you'll need to buy an extra dashboard mount. The state law prohibits u
from using the bundled windshield mount concurrently to operating th
vehicle. Tickets are evil, man.

Anyway, the first time I got my Nuvi 760, I was able to use it righ
out of the box. It also has fast and sturdy satellite acquisition - fro
a cold start to route recalculations. Tall buildings have no effect o
the satellite reception, but indoors/undergrounds do. The interface i
intuitive - manuals are not quite necessary. The map is accurate an
up-to-date, and its ability to speak out actual street names gives yo
less chance to get lost.

Now, the reason why I bought this specific model was also based o
extra features that would make my life easier. For starters, the "Wher
Am I?" feature works like a charm. This feature allows the Nuvi 760 t
automatically remembers its final position once you detached it from th
mount, so you can navigate yourself back to your car again on foot. Thi
helps a lot for parking in a crowded and/or unfamiliar place. Thi
feature also shows you the nearest address and intersection, ga
stations, hospitals, and police stations.

The bundled FM traffic receiver also works as well as advertised. It'
a good investment if you find traffics excruciating.

The bluetooth connectivity was okay. It works, but I don't like it tha
much. I prefer connecting the bluetooth headset directly to my phon
instead. I really should have bought a cheaper Nuvi 750 with n
bluetooth connectivity instead, but well. On the other hand, the MP
player also works okay. But really, a common CD player will do. Althoug
the Nuvi 760 is a little pricey, the exceptional navigation and feature
make it a worthy investment.

Well, that's my take on the Nuvi 760. But I would not recommend th
Nuvi 350. I was just finished updating my Nuvi 760, so I checked out th
Nuvi 350 for you. Bad news, jmc. The Nuvi 350 is officially
discontinued product - along with all the Nuvi 3xx series.

If you don't mind the price, Garmin Nuvi is pretty awesome - at leas
mine is. But if I am to buy a new GPS right now, I'd go for the Navigo
7200T instead. It comes with free traffic updates for life, and a lan
guidance technology that displays the exact lane you need to turn. An
it's relatively cheaper than the Nuvi too

--
estoppe
Message Origin: TRAVEL.co
TulsaOK
2009-01-12 14:43:12 UTC
The Nuvi 350 is officially a discontinued product - along with all
the Nuvi 3xx series.

It wasn't discontinued back in 2006 when this was posted. :-)
estoppel
2009-01-13 04:44:12 UTC
Post by estoppel
The Nuvi 350 is officially a discontinued product - along with all
the Nuvi 3xx series.
It wasn't discontinued back in 2006 when this was posted. :-)
Whoops. Should have read the date first. :-

--
estoppe
Message Origin: TRAVEL.co
TulsaOK
2009-01-14 02:19:06 UTC
Post by estoppel
The Nuvi 350 is officially a discontinued product - along with all
the Nuvi 3xx series.
It wasn't discontinued back in 2006 when this was posted. :-)
Whoops. Should have read the date first. :-)
Been there, done that.